Micro sclerotherapy is a procedure used to treat spider veins and small varicose veins. It involves injecting a solution into the spider veins in order to close the veins and causing them to disappear. Usually 50-80 percent of veins treated with micro sclerotherapy are eliminated with each injection session. Patient satisfaction is normally achieved with two or three treatment sessions.
Benefits of micro sclerotherapy
- Better results when compared to the various laser options
- Any small feeding veins are also treated at the same session
- Very fine needles mean that treatment is almost painless
What to expect when undergoing micro sclerotherapy
- Treatment takes between 30 and 45 minutes
- Some patients find it more comfortable to wear a pair of shorts for the treatment
- Compression is worn for 3 days full time following the procedure, then day time only for the next 2 weeks
- Bruising is common at injection sites and rarely small blisters can develop
- Treatment causes the veins to spasm and close. These are absorbed by the body and typically disappear in 1-3 months.
After the procedure
- You will be asked to take a 10 minute walk
- Itch at injection sites is common, occasionally an antihistamine is needed to bring ease
- Brown staining sometimes can occur at injection sites, these almost always fade completely in 6-9 months
Click on the link to download the Microsclerotherapy advice sheet